Allan Harrison, self-portrait, 1944
Allan Harrison was born in Montreal in 1911. He first studied at the École des beaux-arts de Montréal in 1930 with John Lyman and André Biéler, then at the celebrated Art Students’ League of New York in 1931 with Kimon Nicolaides. In 1932 and 1933, he worked at the Atelier in Montreal under the direction of John Lyman and André Biéler. In 1939, he was among the founding members of the Contemporary Art Society. In 1947-48, he went to Paris where he painted with Arpad Szenès. He returned to France in 1956, this time to work in the atelier of André Lhote.
Harrison’s career has been marked by periods of intense pictorial activity alternating with periods when he was absorbed by his work as an advertising designer.
He taught at the School of Art and Design of The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts from 1941 to 1946; at Sir George Williams University from 1961 to 1966; and at the Université du Québec à Montréal from 1970 to 1972.
Throughout these activities, he travelled to many countries in Europe, Central America, Cuba, South America, and, more frequently, the United States.
Allan Harrison produced still lifes, landscapes and figures.
Allan Harrison painted and drew. He also did graphic works.
Allan Harrison exhibited with the Contemporary Art Society in the 30’s and 40’s and in a wide variety of locations like Galerie l’Art français in 1976.
Allan Harrison’s work may be found in many private and public collections in Canada and abroad, including the Musée du Québec, the Canada Council Art Bank, the Bezalel Museum in Jerusalem, and the Maison de Radio-Canada in Montreal.
Source: Allan Harrison, du 27 janvier au 19 février 1978, Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal