Charles Huot was born in Quebec City in 1855. He spent his vacations in France and did not return to Canada for 14 years. He studied at the École des beaux-arts in Paris from 1874 to 1878 and at the Académie Royale des beaux-arts in Brussels in 1905. He lived in Paris from 1874 to 1886 and between 1987 to 1900. He made numerous illustrations for the publishers Hachette, Firmin-Didot and Delgrave.
He travelled frequently in Europe including Paris, Mecklenburg-Schwerin in Germany and Rome. He returned to Canada in 1886 and settled in Quebec City. During his career he painted a number of historical and religious pictures including his well-known canvases for the Quebec provincial government.
He taught at the Council of arts and Manufactures in Quebec City between 1894 and 1896 and them from 1887 to 1890. Huot was a member of the Société des Artistes de Québec. He died in Sillery in Quebec in 1930.
Huot did a number of landscapes and portraits.
Huot’s works include drawings, watercolours, paintings and murals for the Church of Saint-Sauveur in Quebec City made in 1890-92, for the National Assembly Building in Quebec City made in 1910-13, 1914-20 and 1926-30. Those paintings show his fine craftsmanship and depth of knowledge of his subjects through considerable research.
Huot exhibited at the Paris Salon in 1876 when he was awarded honourable mention, also at the universal Exposition of 1878 and the Black and White Exhibition in Paris in 1888 where he won a silver medal.
Source : Catalogue of the National Gallery of Canada, Canadian art, volume two/G-K, Ottawa, 1994; Colin S. Macdonald, A dictionary of Canadian Artists, Volume 2, 1977