Jean Munro Maclean was an active participant in the Montreal art scene during the 1920s. Her early training took place in Boston, under E. M. Carpenter. She then moved to England to continue her studies at the Liverpool School of Art (under R. A. Bell, Frederick Burridge, and John Compton), and at the Heatherley School of Art in London. Upon her return to Canada, Maclean settled in Montreal and joined the Women's Art Association (1919), and the Art Association of Montreal (1925), organizing sketching and studio classes for the latter throughout 1927. She also became involved in church work following her marriage to Rev. Lachlan A. Maclean.
Jean Munro Maclean was best known for her landscapes and portraits.
The artist graduated with honours, and was also awarded her teaching diploma at the Heatherley School of Art in London.
In 1921, her painting entitled "Old Courtyard, St. Vincent" was purchased by the National Gallery of Canada, and a copy made for the Montreal courthouse.
Important exhibitions include the Art Association of Montreal Spring Show and a command exhibition for the Marquis of Lorne, then Governor-General of Canada.
Source: Colin S. MacDonald, A dictionnary of Canadian Artists, Volume 4, Canadian Paperbacks, Ottawa, 1974